Skip to main content

Delays to response times: It's taking longer than usual to answer calls and myIR messages. You may be able to use self-service options in myIR or on our self-service line, 0800 257 777. You can also find information on our website by typing in what you want to do in the search bar. Thank you for your understanding. Log in to myIR

Cost of Living Payment The Government has announced a Cost of Living Payment, which will be paid from 1 August 2022. You do not need to apply for this payment. If you are eligible, we’ll pay it into your bank account. Find out more

Amateur sports promoters

Amateur sports promoters are any clubs, societies, trusts or associations set up to promote an amateur game or sport. A common example is a cricket or rugby club.

The game or sport must be for the recreation or entertainment of the general public without significant barriers to participation or watching.

Income tax

Amateur sports promoters are exempt from income tax unless their funds are used for the private benefit of owners, shareholders, members, beneficiaries or associates. We recommend you apply in writing to see if your club or society qualifies for an exemption.

If you do not qualify for a full exemption, you could qualify for a deduction from your club’s net income. This can be up to $1,000 per year to reduce the amount of tax your club pays.

Apply for an amateur sports promoters income tax exemption

Profit-making sports promoters and clubs

If your sports club does not have a full income tax exemption, you’ll need to file a Clubs or societies income tax return - IR9 each year.

If your sports club is unincorporated, you’ll be taxed at the same rate as individuals. The ‘Tax on annual income’ calculator will give you your income tax rate and can also work out your tax on taxable income.

If your sports club is registered and incorporated, you’ll be taxed at the company tax rate.

File a Clubs and societies tax return - IR9

Resident withholding tax

If you have money in a bank or other financial institution, resident withholding tax (RWT) may be deducted from your interest.

You need to supply your sports club’s IRD number to the financial institution or they will tax you at a higher tax rate. When you fill out your tax return you can claim the RWT that was deducted from your interest as a credit to reduce the tax you have to pay.

If you’re an amateur sports promoter, you can apply for an exemption from RWT. To do this, complete an Application for exemption from resident withholding tax (RWT) on interest and dividends - IR451.

If you have a full exemption from income tax, you’ll be eligible for an RWT exemption.

Getting an exemption from paying RWT

Last updated: 28 Apr 2021
Jump back to the top of the page