Skip to main content

Delays to response times: It's taking longer than usual to answer calls and myIR messages. You may be able to use self-service options in myIR or on our self-service line, 0800 257 777. You can also find information on our website by typing in what you want to do in the search bar. Thank you for your understanding. Log in to myIR

Cost of Living Payment The Government has announced a Cost of Living Payment, which will be paid from 1 August 2022. You do not need to apply for this payment. If you are eligible, we’ll pay it into your bank account. Find out more

If you are a New Zealand charity whose purposes are mainly overseas, you can apply for overseas donee status. This means people can claim a tax credit on cash donations made to your charity. Your charity must be named in tax legislation for people who donate to qualify.

Eligibility for overseas donee status

The money your charity receives must go towards at least one of these things:

  • relieving poverty, hunger, sickness, damages from war or natural disaster
  • the economy of developing countries recognised by the United Nations
  • raising the educational standards of a developing country recognised by the United Nations.

Charities are specifically excluded if they form to foster or administer any:

  • religion
  • cult
  • political creed.

Apply for overseas donee status

Last updated: 14 Sep 2020
Jump back to the top of the page