Skip to main content

Delays to response times: It's taking longer than usual to answer calls and myIR messages, including for unclaimed money. You may be able to use self-service options in myIR. You can also find information on our website by typing in what you want to do in the search bar. Thank you for your understanding. Log in to myIR

Provide evidence you are a non-resident charity

You must provide evidence you are:

  • not resident in New Zealand
  • carrying out your charitable purposes overseas
  • not carried on for the private profit of any individuals
  • recognised as being charitable by one or more overseas charities regulators or tax authorities
  • not eligible to register as a charity with the Department of Internal Affairs - Charities Services.

Gather your information

You will need to supply us with copies of all of the following:

  • your constitution, trust deed or other governing documents
  • evidence of incorporation or legal registration in your (main) country of residence
  • certification or a letter confirming you have charitable status or registration with one or more overseas charities regulators or tax authorities
  • information on the work your organisation does - this may include annual reports, brochures, articles, testimonials or relevant websites
  • evidence your charity was declined registration by Charities Services due to an insufficient connection to New Zealand or an explanation of why you believe you will not be able to register with Charities Services..

Send us your application

Send your application to us as a message in myIR, or by email to [email protected]

You can also post your application to us at:

Inland Revenue
PO Box 1147
Palmerston North Central
Palmerston North 4440 

Last updated: 14 Oct 2020
Jump back to the top of the page