Skip to main content

Queen Elizabeth II Memorial Day, Monday 26 September Our phone lines and offices are closed, but you can still get in touch with us. Find out more

Delays to response times: It's taking longer than usual to answer calls and myIR messages, including for unclaimed money. You may be able to use self-service options in myIR. You can also find information on our website by typing in what you want to do in the search bar. Thank you for your understanding. Log in to myIR

Changes to the myIR login screen are coming You will not be able to use myIR between 1pm Saturday 8 October and 8am Monday 10 October. This is so we can update our external authentication system. From Monday 10 October the myIR login page will have a new look and feel, but the login process will not change.

Being eligible for child support depends on:

  • whether your children qualify for child support
  • whether the other parent, or both parents if applying as a non-parent carer, can be made liable
  • the amount of care you provide.

If you and your child are living in Australia, you should apply for child support through Services Australia.

Child support in New Zealand and Australia

If the parent of the child you want to make liable for child support is not a NZ citizen but lives in a 2007 Child Support Convention country, you can apply to us for a child support formula assessment.

Applying for child support from a 2007 Child Support Convention Country
Child support definitions of 'child', 'liable parent', and 'ongoing daily care of a child'
Does child support apply to you?

To qualify for child support, the child must:

  • be under 18 years of age, or 18 years of age and enrolled at and attending a registered school in New Zealand or an overseas school. If a child is 18 and still enrolled at and attending a school, then child support ends on 31 of December of the year they turn 18
  • not be married, in a de facto relationship or civil union
  • be financially dependent, that is under the age of 16 or aged 16 and not working more than 30 hours a week on average or receiving a benefit or student allowance
  • be a New Zealand citizen or ordinarily resident in New Zealand

If you're unsure whether your children are New Zealand citizens, you can check this with the New Zealand Government.

Check if you are a citizen (New Zealand Government) If your children often travel overseas, you can see whether they are spending most of their time in New Zealand by checking their tax residency status. If they are New Zealand tax residents, they are ordinarily resident in New Zealand.

Sometimes for child support, we need to decide whether or not a person will be or will continue to be ordinarily resident. In these cases we may consider the person's intentions to live or not live in New Zealand.

Tax residency status for individuals

In order to be a liable parent for child support, the person must either:

  • be the birth or legally adoptive parent of the child
  • have been married to the other parent when the child was conceived or born
  • have acknowledged before a court, or in writing, that they are a parent of the child
  • have been declared a legal step-parent by the Family Court
  • have had a court made a paternity order them in respect of the child
  • be either:
    • a New Zealand citizen
    • ordinarily resident in New Zealand
    • ordinarily resident in Australia,
    • ordinarily resident in Australia, or in a 2007 Child Support Convention country, as we have agreements for child support.

The formula assessment for child support recognises that a parent provides for their child if they give ongoing daily care for at least 28% of the time. This is called recognised care.

A parent or non-parent carer will not receive child support unless they provide ongoing daily care for at least 35% of the time.

Was this page helpful?

What did you like about this page?

Please tell us how we could improve this page?

Thanks for sharing your opinion! Your feedback has been received.

Sorry there was an issue submitting your feedback, please try again later.

Jump back to the top of the page