Skip to main content

Delays to response times: It's taking longer than usual to answer calls and myIR messages. You may be able to use self-service options in myIR or on our self-service line, 0800 257 777. You can also find information on our website by typing in what you want to do in the search bar. Thank you for your understanding. Log in to myIR

Cost of Living Payment The Government has announced a Cost of Living Payment, which will be paid from 1 August 2022. You do not need to apply for this payment. If you are eligible, we’ll pay it into your bank account. Find out more

You can request information from us under the Official Information Act 1982 and the Privacy Act 2020.

What types of requests for information you can make

As a government department, all the information we hold is subject to the Official Information Act 1982. You can make a request under this Act if you're a:

  • New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
  • person in New Zealand
  • corporate entity (a company or incorporated society) which is incorporated in New Zealand, or has a place of business here.

We're also subject to the Privacy Act 2020. The Privacy Act promotes and protects the privacy of individuals and sets out principles for how agencies collect, use, disclose, store and give access to personal information.

Principle 6 of the Privacy Act gives individuals the right to request access to information about themselves that is held by an agency in New Zealand. This means that anyone can contact any government agency and ask to see what information is held about them.

Official Information Act 1982 (

Privacy Act 2020 (

Before making a request for information

The information you need might already be publicly available. Before making a request for information we encourage you to check out our other websites.

IR Tax Policy website

IR Tax Technical website

You can also access some of your information through your myIR account. If you do not have an account, it's easy to register.

Do it now in myIR

Make a request for information

You can make a request under the Official Information Act 1982 using our online form.

Official information requests - Contact us

Last updated: 30 Jun 2021
Jump back to the top of the page