Skip to main content

Queen Elizabeth II Memorial Day, Monday 26 September Our phone lines and offices are closed, but you can still get in touch with us. Find out more

Delays to response times: It's taking longer than usual to answer calls and myIR messages, including for unclaimed money. You may be able to use self-service options in myIR. You can also find information on our website by typing in what you want to do in the search bar. Thank you for your understanding. Log in to myIR

Changes to the myIR login screen are coming You will not be able to use myIR between 1pm Saturday 8 October and 8am Monday 10 October. This is so we can update our external authentication system. From Monday 10 October the myIR login page will have a new look and feel, but the login process will not change.

You need to file a tax return when you have taxable income from your cryptoasset activity.

Before you can put your cryptoasset net income (or loss) in your tax return you need to:

  • calculate the New Zealand dollar value of your cryptoasset transactions
  • work out your cryptoasset income and expenses.

If you held cryptoassets that were stolen, you may be able to claim a deduction for the loss.

It’s important to keep good records for all your transactions with cryptoassets.

Completing your tax return

When you complete your tax return, if your cryptoasset income does not fit into any boxes (such as business or self-employed income) you need to put your net cryptoasset income (or loss) in the 'other income' box. To claim a loss, you need to show that if you'd made a profit it would have been taxable.

Different types of cryptoasset owners will need to complete different tax returns.

Income tax for individuals

Income tax for businesses and organisations

If you have not got your tax right in a return you’ve already filed, let us know as soon as you can so we can fix it. You may need to make a voluntary disclosure.

Fixing mistakes in my return

If you want to gain more certainty about how the tax law applies to your situation, you can apply for a ruling. There is a fee for rulings. A ruling might be useful if your situation is complex or there is a significant amount of tax involved.

Short-process rulings

Applying for other types of rulings

Last updated: 28 Apr 2021
Jump back to the top of the page