Skip to main content

Delays to response times: It's taking longer than usual to answer calls and myIR messages. You may be able to use self-service options in myIR or on our self-service line, 0800 257 777. You can also find information on our website by typing in what you want to do in the search bar. Thank you for your understanding. Log in to myIR

Cost of Living Payment The Government has announced a Cost of Living Payment, which will be paid from 1 August 2022. You do not need to apply for this payment. If you are eligible, we’ll pay it into your bank account. Find out more

Before you start

Keep a copy of the tax invoices for all goods and services you buy for your business.

Keep track of how you use any goods and services that are used both for business purposes and privately.

Apportion input tax if necessary

Mixed-use assets

If you own a mixed-use holiday home, boat, or aircraft you must apportion input tax based on the ratio of income-earning and private use.

Other goods and services

For other goods and services that are used both for business purposes and privately, you can choose how you apportion input tax. As long as it gives a fair and reasonable result your calculation could be based on records you’ve kept, experience, or a business plan. You must decide how to apportion the input tax when you claim the input tax credit on the purchase.

File your GST return

Last updated: 18 Jun 2021
Jump back to the top of the page