Skip to main content

Delays to response times: It is taking longer than usual to answer calls and myIR messages, and to process some COVID-19 Support Payment applications. This is because of the impact of COVID-19. If possible, please contact us through your myIR account. Log in to myIR

Budget 2022: The Government has announced Budget 2022, which includes changes to child support payments. Find out more on our Tax Policy website

Budget 2022: The Government has announced a Cost of Living Payment, which will be paid from 1 August 2022. You do not need to apply for this payment. If you are eligible, we’ll pay it into your bank account. Find out more

These instructions are for New Zealand resident companies, partnerships, superannuation schemes, Māori authorities, estates, trusts, clubs and societies that need an IRD number.

Before you start

You need:

  • a certificate of incorporation for companies
  • a deed of trusts for trusts
  • a certificate of incorporation for incorporated societies
  • a certification of registration for limited partnerships
  • a probate, will or letters of administration for estates. (If we have not already been notified of the date of death, you may need a death certificate too.)
  • the personal IRD number of each shareholder, director, partner, executive office holder, trustee or executor.

Apply online

Apply for an IRD number

If you're applying for an IRD number for an estate, choose the 'Trust' organisation type. Then you can select that it's an estate.

What happens next

  • We'll contact you if we need more information about your registration.
  • We'll email or post your IRD number to you. It can take 20 working days to arrive if you choose to have it posted.

My responsibilities

  • Keep your IRD number where you can easily find it.
  • Set up a myIR account for your business or organisation when you have your IRD number.
  • Tell us about any changes. The easiest way to update your details is in myIR. You can also send us a message in myIR and attach any required documents to it.

You can complete a paper application and send this to us.

Last updated: 09 Jun 2021
Jump back to the top of the page