Skip to main content

Delays to response times: It's taking longer than usual to answer calls and myIR messages, including for unclaimed money. You may be able to use self-service options in myIR. You can also find information on our website by typing in what you want to do in the search bar. Thank you for your understanding. Log in to myIR

If you’re a non-resident taxpayer you're usually not subject to New Zealand tax on your cryptoasset income. This income could include amounts you receive from selling cryptoassets or mining. You'll be subject to New Zealand tax only if your cryptoasset income has a source here.

An example of when your income may be sourced here is if you carry on a business in New Zealand. There are also other source rules that might apply.

New Zealand may have a double tax agreement (DTA) with your country of residence. That agreement may decide where you need to pay tax, or whether you can claim tax credits.

We recommend that you seek advice from a tax advisor or accountant if you're unsure of your tax obligations.

Tax for non-resident taxpayers

Non-resident taxpayers and DTAs

Last updated: 28 Apr 2021
Jump back to the top of the page