Skip to main content

Delays to response times: It is taking longer than usual to answer calls and myIR messages, and to process some COVID-19 Support Payment applications. This is because of the impact of COVID-19. If possible, please contact us through your myIR account. Log in to myIR

Budget 2022: The Government has announced Budget 2022, which includes changes to child support payments. Find out more on our Tax Policy website

Budget 2022: The Government has announced a Cost of Living Payment, which will be paid from 1 August 2022. You do not need to apply for this payment. If you are eligible, we’ll pay it into your bank account. Find out more

You may be able to keep your student loan interest free if the principal reason you are overseas is because you are:

  • unexpectedly delayed when you were returning to New Zealand
  • unexpectedly required to travel after you’ve returned to New Zealand.
  • studying overseas
  • volunteering overseas
  • working overseas for the government, or sent overseas for work
  • receiving a qualifying government-funded scholarship for study or an internship
  • accompanying your partner overseas while they are studying, working, volunteering for a listed charity, or receiving a government-funded scholarship for study or an internship
  • living in Niue, Cook Islands, Tokelau or Ross Dependency
  • you have a serious illness, injury or disability that means you’re not able to engage in paid work nor meet your repayment obligation.

To apply to keep your student loan interest free you will need to provide us with supporting documentation. What you need to send us depends on your situation.

If you’ll be away from New Zealand for less than 10 months (325 days) you will remain a New Zealand tax resident. Otherwise, you may need to determine your New Zealand tax residency by completing a New Zealand tax residence questionnaire - IR886. You only need to include this with your application if you will be away for more than 325 days and either:

  • your employment or occupation requires you to be overseas
  • you are accompanying your partner overseas
  • you experienced an unplanned absence
  • you had an unexpected delay returning to New Zealand.

International tax for individuals

Was this page helpful?

What did you like about this page?

Please tell us how we could improve this page?

Thanks for sharing your opinion! Your feedback has been received.

Sorry there was an issue submitting your feedback, please try again later.

Last updated: 04 Feb 2022
Jump back to the top of the page