Skip to main content

Delays to response times: It is taking longer than usual to answer calls and myIR messages, and to process some COVID-19 Support Payment applications. This is because of the impact of COVID-19. If possible, please contact us through your myIR account. Log in to myIR

Budget 2022: The Government has announced Budget 2022, which includes changes to child support payments. Find out more on our Tax Policy website

Budget 2022: The Government has announced a Cost of Living Payment, which will be paid from 1 August 2022. You do not need to apply for this payment. If you are eligible, we’ll pay it into your bank account. Find out more

A redundancy payment is taxable income, so you need to pay income tax on it.

Your employer should deduct the tax and pay it on your behalf. If they do not, then you'll be responsible for paying that tax yourself.

After the end of the tax year

At the end of the tax year we work out if you've paid the right amount of tax. Either we'll automatically assess your income tax, or you'll need to file an IR3 return.

If you're made redundant during the tax year, it may turn out that you've:

  • paid too much tax and are due a refund
  • have not paid enough tax and have some more to pay.

This depends on what entitlements you qualify for, and how you were taxed during the year.

Income tax assessments

Individual income tax return - IR3

If you cannot pay a tax bill

If you have a tax bill that you cannot pay in full, we can help you. Contact us as soon as you can to discuss your options, which include paying off the bill in instalments.

Managing debt

Paying by instalments

Other redundancy information 

Redundancy and Working for Families

Redundancy and KiwiSaver

Redundancy and student loans

Redundancy and child support

Last updated: 28 Apr 2021
Jump back to the top of the page